Applications for the Jonathan Vickers Fine Art Award 2019/20 have closed.
Mall Galleries and Foundation Derbyshire invite past exhibitors of FBA Futures to be considered for the Jonathan Vickers Fine Art Award 2019/20. This exciting biennial residency is an opportunity for a rising artist to produce and exhibit a body of new work inspired by Derbyshire’s landscape, heritage and people, under the broad theme “Sense of Place”.
During the nine-month residency (between October 2019 and June 2020), the selected artist will focus on producing new work for public exhibition, including a solo exhibition at Derby Museum and Art Gallery in late 2020, and a show alongside FBA Futures at Mall Galleries in January 2021. In addition to which, the successful artist will receive a bursary of £18,000, the use of a studio in Derby, a contribution to the cost of materials and travel, the opportunity to work on a community outreach project and a Teaching Fellowship at (and support and mentoring from) University of Derby’s School of Arts.
The Jonathan Vickers Fine Art Award was established by Foundation Derbyshire in 1998 with the help of a legacy from the estate of the late Jonathan Vickers, a lifelong lover of fine arts. It has been run in conjunction with Mall Galleries / Federation of British Artists since 2019.
In 2019, the winning artist will receive:
- £18,000 over the nine-month residency period (£2,000 per month) between 1 October 2019 and 30 June 2020
- the use of a studio in Derbyshire for the duration of the residency, until 30 November 2020
- a solo, selling exhibition at Derby Museum and Art Gallery in late 2020, including exhibition catalogue
- an exhibition at Mall Galleries, alongside FBA Futures 2021 (in January 2021)
- five days of teaching experience in the School of Arts at the University of Derby
- the opportunity to lead four creative workshops around Derby
- £1,000 towards artists’ materials (maximum reimbursement, subject to an invoice or other proof of purchase)
- £1,000 towards travel between the studio and sites in Derbyshire (maximum reimbursement, subject to an invoice or other proof of purchase)
- £1,000 towards exhibition and other production costs including framing (maximum reimbursement, subject to an invoice or other proof of purchase)
If you have any questions about the Award, please email Mall Galleries on firstname.lastname@example.org