The New English Art Club is an elected society of contemporary painters whose ethos resides in art informed by the visual world and personal interpretation.
Its Annual Exhibition is a showcase not only for its members but also for aspiring artists: with a history going back more than a hundred years, it is an opportunity for work to be seen alongside some of the best artists painting today, held at Mall Galleries in London.
The exhibition offers several prizes and awards to artists, worth over £11,000 (see 'Prizes & Awards' below).
* * * ONLINE SUBMISSION AND SELECTION * * *
To make the process of submitting and selecting work simpler and safer, the New English Art Club will select works for exhibition from online only.
Selectors will make an assessment of each work based on the digital images supplied, following which selected artists will be asked to deliver their accepted work to Mall Galleries for exhibition.
How to Submit
All work must be submitted online. Selection from online entries will take place, after which selected artworks should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for exhibition:
- Upload images of work at mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 22 February and Friday 30 April, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check mallgalleries.oess1.uk on Friday 14 May, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been selected for exhibition
- If selected, deliver your work on Saturday 12 June or Sunday 13 June, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
Submissions open: Monday 22 February, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 30 April, 12 noon
Selection notification: Friday 14 May, 12 noon
Receiving Days (if selected): Saturday 12 June and Sunday 13 June, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition opens: Friday 25 June, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday 3 July, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 8 July, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Paintings, drawings, pastels, original framed prints (excluding photography). Note that sculpture is not admissible.
- Submission fee: £20 per work (or £14 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Work must have been completed in the last two years and must not have been previously exhibited in London.
- Maximum of six works submitted. Maximum of three works selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale.
- Minimum price: £300 (£180 for framed prints, £120 for unframed prints - buyers will not be charged for postage and packaging of unframed prints, so please ensure the price of unframed prints allows for this).
- The price of works must include 45%+VAT commission.
Works that differ significantly from the photograph entered will not be exhibited.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the New English Art Club.
- Please note that selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists from outside the UK may need to register for VAT, please check with HM Revenue and Customs: https://www.gov.uk
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art - Tel: 07833 450788 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person, several art couriers around the country visit the galleries, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) - email@example.com / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 07833 450788
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) - email@example.com / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The Doreen McIntosh Prize for £5,000: In order to reflect the best in figurative painting in British Art, The Doreen McIntosh Prize is for an artist whose work fulfils the New English Art Club’s ideals of rigour, immediate engagement with the visual and a searching attitude
Chris Beetles Gallery Prize for Figurative Art: £2,500 for a non-member artist. Selected by Chris Beetles of Chris Beetles Gallery, St James's, London
The Hermione Hammond Drawing Award: £2,000 for a drawing by an emerging artist aged 35 or under
The Bowyer Drawing Prize: Selected by the Bowyer family, £500
The Winsor & Newton Award: Art materials to the value of £500
The Peter Ashley Framing Prize, presented by The Artistic Framing Company: A bespoke handmade picture frame will be created for the winning work, to the value of £500
The Michael Harding Award: £500 worth of art materials
The NEAC Critics' Prize: £250
The Dry Red Press Award: The winning work will be published as a greeting card in the Dry Red Press 'Prize Winners' range, with royalties from the sale of the cards going to the artist