The Pastel Society seeks the best in contemporary dry media, combining traditional skills with creative originality for their Annual Exhibition.
Acceptable media: Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any dry media.
The exhibition offers several prizes and awards, open to all participating artists (see 'Prizes & Awards' below). It presents the opportunity to exhibit at a prestigious gallery in the heart of London alongside well-established artists and have your work seen by thousands of visitors, including buyers and collectors.
* * * NEW FOR 2021 - DIGITAL ONLY SELECTION * * *
To make the process of submitting and selecting work simpler and safer, the Society will select works for exhibition from online only this year.
Selectors will make an assessment of each work based on the digital images supplied, following which selected artists will be asked to deliver their accepted work to Mall Galleries for exhibition.
Sponsored by Derwent
ALL work must be submitted online. Selection from online entries will take place, after which selected artworks should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for exhibition:
- Upload images of work at mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 5 October and Friday 4 December 2020, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check mallgalleries.oess1.uk on Friday 18 December, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been selected for exhibition
- If selected, deliver your work on Saturday 16 January or Sunday 17 January, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
Submissions open: Monday 5 October 2020, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 4 December, 12 noon
Selection notification: Friday 18 December, 12 noon
Receiving Days (if selected only): Saturday 16 January and Sunday 17 January 2021, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Wednesday 27 January, 11am to 5pm (7pm on Thursdays)
Exhibition closes: Saturday 13 February, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 18 February and Friday 19 February, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any dry media.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Maximum of six works submitted. Maximum of four works selected.
- Work must have been completed during the twelve months prior to the exhibition and not have been exhibited elsewhere.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale. Minimum price: £300.
- The price of works must include 45%+VAT commission.
Works that are poorly presented or differ significantly from the photograph entered will not be exhibited.
Delivery & Collection
Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art - Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and is rotated annually.
- Please note that selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- If you are not a UK resident and your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1)
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person, several art couriers around the country visit the galleries, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) - email@example.com / 01302 711011
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to confirmation)
There are a number of prizes and awards available to win, including:
- NEW The Yoshimoto Prize (£1,000) - A prize of £1,000 for an outstanding work, in any dry medium, by a non-member
- Unison Young Artist Award (£500 and set of 72 pastels)
- Annie Longley Award (£250)
- The Pastel Society Young Artist Award (£200)
- Derwent Award (worth £1,000)
- Caran d'Ache Award
- Frank Herring & Sons Award
- Henri Roche Award
- The Pastel Society Visitors' Choice Award
- Royal Talens Award
- Schmincke Award
- Unison Member Award
- Unison Non-member Award
- West Design - Faber Castell Award
- The Pastel Society Catalogue Award: First & Second Prize
- The Artist Magazine Award
- Artists & Illustrators Award