The Pastel Society seeks the best in contemporary dry media, combining traditional skills with creative originality for their Annual Exhibition.
Acceptable media: Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conté, sanguine, or any dry media.
Please note that the call for entries has closed for 2021.
Sponsored by Derwent
Conditions of Entry
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any dry media.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Maximum of six works submitted. Maximum of four works selected.
- Work must have been completed during the twelve months prior to the exhibition and not have been exhibited elsewhere.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale. Minimum price: £300.
- The price of works must include 45%+VAT commission.
Works that are poorly presented or differ significantly from the photograph entered will not be exhibited.
Delivery & Collection
Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art - Tel: 07833 450788 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and is rotated annually.
- Please note that selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- If you are not a UK resident and your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1)
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person, several art couriers around the country visit the galleries, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) - email@example.com / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 07833 450788
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) - email@example.com / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are a number of prizes and awards available to win, including:
- The Yoshimoto Prize: A prize of £1,000 for an outstanding work, in any dry medium, by a non-member
- Unison Young Artist Award: £500 and a set of 72 pastels
- The Pastel Society Young Artist Award: £200
- Derwent Award: £1,000 worth of Derwent products
- Caran d'Ache Award
- Frank Herring & Sons Award
- Henri Roche Award
- The Pastel Society Visitors' Choice Award
- Schmincke Award
- Unison Member Award
- Unison Non-member Award
- West Design - Faber Castell Award
- The Pastel Society Catalogue Award, First & Second Prize: The winning work featured in the exhibition catalogue
- The Artist Magazine Award: A feature article in The Artist magazine
- Artists & Illustrators Award: A feature article in Artists & Illustrators magazine