Royal Institute of Oil Painters | Selected Works
Below are the registration numbers of selected works for the ROI Annual Exhibition 2021.
If your number is not listed, your work has not been selected on this occasion.
Note that the collection date for unaccepted works is Thursday 21 October, 10am to 5pm.
To find out your registration number, please email email@example.com
How to Submit
All work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected works should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at www.mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 28 June and Friday 10 September, 3pm [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check www.mallgalleries.oess1.uk from 12 noon on Friday 17 September to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work for final selection on Saturday 16 October, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check this page from 12 noon on Tuesday 19 October to see if your work has been selected
- If unaccepted, collect your work on Thursday 21 October, 10am to 5pm
Submissions open: Monday 28 June, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 10 September, 3pm
Pre-selection notification: Friday 17 September, 12 noon
Receiving Day (if pre-selected): Saturday 16 October, 10am to 5pm
Notification of final selection: Tuesday 19 October, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 21 October, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition opens: Wednesday 24 November, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Sunday 5 December, 1pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 9 December, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Oils. Acrylic and water-soluble oil paint is acceptable if framed as an oil, so as not to spoil the general appearance of the exhibition.
- Wide mounts between painting and frame, as in watercolours, are not acceptable.
- Glazed work is not encouraged.
Unframed work can be accepted if on a well-presented box canvas.
- Submission fee: £20 per work (or £14 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Maximum of six works submitted, maximum of three works selected.
- The combined measurement of works accepted will not exceed 8 feet maximum per artist.
- Work must have been completed within the last three years and must not have been previously shown at Mall Galleries.
- Work must be for sale, unless portraits (which may be Not For Sale / 'NFS' - if your work is not for sale, please input the price as '0' when prompted).
- The price of works for sale must include 45%+VAT commission.
- Minimum sale price: £300.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Institute and is rotated annually.
- Selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU or elsewhere are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as 'NETPs' - non-established taxable persons) can find further details on 'NETP' status and how to register for VAT at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading 'Should I be registered for VAT?' Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art - Tel: 07833 450788 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here
If you are unable to deliver your work in person, several professional art couriers around the country visit the gallery for deliveries and collections, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) - email@example.com / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 07833 450788
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) - email@example.com / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Prizes & Awards
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The Phyllis Roberts Award - An award of £2,000 for an artist aged 30 or under
Winsor & Newton Young Artist Awards (for artists aged 30 or under) - First Prize: £1,000 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Second Prize: £600 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials / Third Prize: £400 Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
The Tony Merrick Memorial Prize - An award of £250 in memory of the late Tony Merrick ROI (1948-2018)
The ROI Emerging Artist Prize - A prize of £250 and the opportunity to spend a day with one of the Institute's members, for an artist aged 30 or under at the time of submission
The Small Painting Prize - An award of £250, open to members and non-members, for the best small painting on display (maximum dimension of 12 inches / 30.5 cm, excluding frame)
The Alan Gourley Memorial Award - An annual prize of £1,000, awarded for a painting of outstanding merit
The Stanley Grimm Prize - Two awards totalling £700 (first prize £400, second prize £300), to the painters whose works receive the most votes from visitors to the exhibition
Winsor & Newton Non-member Award - £150 worth of Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials
The Le Clerc Fowle Medal - In memory of Anne Le Clerc Fowle, presented annually for an outstanding group of paintings
The Menena Joy Schwabe Memorial Award - An award of £250 for an outstanding oil painter
Frank Herring Easel Award - An award of a versatile easel
The Artist Magazine Award - The winning artist will be featured in a forthcoming issue of The Artist magazine, print and digital editions
The Dry Red Press Award - The winning work will be published as a greeting card by Dry Red Press in their 'Prize Winners' range