The Royal Society of British Artists invites painters, sculptors and printmakers to submit their work for consideration to be shown in the Society’s Annual Exhibition 2021. As well as skill and draughtsmanship, they will be looking for originality and creativity.
The exhibition offers several prizes and awards, worth over £5,000, open to all participating artists (see 'Prizes & Awards' below).
The exhibition presents the opportunity to exhibit your work at a prestigious London gallery alongside well-established artists and have your work seen by thousands of visitors, including buyers and collectors.
* * * NEW FOR 2021 - DIGITAL ONLY SELECTION * * *
To make the process of submitting and selecting work simpler and safer, the Society will select works for exhibition from online only this year.
Selectors will make an assessment of each work based on the digital images supplied, following which selected artists will be asked to deliver their accepted work to Mall Galleries for exhibition.
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Selection from online entries will take place, after which selected artworks should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for exhibition:
- Upload images of work at mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 2 November 2020 and Friday 8 January 2021, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check mallgalleries.oess1.uk on Friday 22 January, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been selected for exhibition
- If selected, deliver your work on Saturday 20 February or Sunday 21 February, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
Submissions open: Monday 2 November 2020, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 8 January 2021, 12 noon
Selection notification: Friday 22 January, 12 noon
Receiving Days (if selected only): Saturday 20 February and Sunday 21 February, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Thursday 4 March, 11am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday 20 March, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 25 March and Friday 26 March, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Any medium including sculpture and original prints.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Maximum of six works submitted.
- Maximum of four works selected.
- Work must not have been exhibited previously.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
All work must be for sale. The price of works must include commission of 45%+VAT (please note that where foundry fees apply, foundry costs will be deducted before commission is calculated).
Minimum price: £300 (framed prints: £180, unframed prints: £120 - buyers will not be charged for postage and packaging of unframed prints, so please ensure the price of unframed prints allows for this).
Works that are poorly presented or differ significantly from the photograph entered will not be exhibited.
Delivery & Collection
- Works should be delivered without any protective packaging as this cannot be retained.
- The gallery will not be responsible for wrapping works or providing wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Please note that selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists from outside the UK may need to register for VAT, please check with HM Revenue and Customs: https://www.gov.uk
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art - Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person, several art couriers around the country visit the galleries, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) - email@example.com / 01302 711011
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) - firstname.lastname@example.org / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The de Laszlo Foundation Prize: The de Laszlo Medal for Excellence and £1,500 will be awarded for the best artwork from life by an artist aged 35 or under
The Artist Magazine Award: The winner will be interviewed in The Artist magazine, print and digital editions
The Dry Red Press Award: The winning work will be published as a greeting card in the Dry Red Press 'Prize Winners' range, with royalties from the sale of the cards going to the artist
Frinton Frames Award: £200 of picture framing at Frinton Frames bespoke handfinished picture frame makers
The Geoffrey Vivis Memorial Award: £100
The Gordon Hulson Memorial Prize: £250 for draughtsmanship, variety & exploration
Hahnemuhle Fine Art UK Award: A prize of artist paper, worth £250
The Michael Harding Awards: Two awards of £500 worth of Michael Harding art materials, and 10 painting starter sets
The Nathan David Award for Sculpture: £150
The Patron's Prize: £500
The Peter Kelly Commemorative Prize: £300
The Ronald Morgan Memorial Award: £250
The Stuart Southall Print Prize: £250
The Surgeon's Prize: £500
The Winsor & Newton Painting Award: Art materials to the value of £500