What makes you special?
When change is the only constant in the 21st Century Art World, identifying what makes you stand out is key to finding buyers and collaborators for your art, as well as understanding your niche market. Attend this talk with art consultant Barbara Stanley to gain insight into how industry business models are evolving, how artists and gallerists are working together today, the changing nature of relationships with clients - and to understand what all of this means for successfully growing your own career.
- Barbara’s own art world story and what she’s seen change in the industry since she entered the biz over 16 years ago
- Evolving business models, based on experience and observation alike
- Ways to uncover your unique selling point (USP) and consider how, where and to whom to communicate this to the world, to attract people to your art and/or specialism
- How you can provide a buying experience that will keep people coming back for more
- Strategies for - and realities of, building professional and client relationships in the industry
- Spotting opportunities and getting front of people with whom you’d love to work and collaborate
- Why it’s important to work to your strengths and not try to appeal to every art buyer or gallery in the universe
- Real-world stories and insights which will help you build your career.
Sound fascinating and useful? There will be much to learn, for artists, gallerists and other industry professionals, from emerging to mid-career. Join the talk, bring your questions and be ready to learn a lot about the late twenty-teens art world.
We will start promptly at 1.30pm so do arrive early to view the exhibition and mingle with other attendees.
Barbara Stanley’s interest in art developed as she was growing up in the West of Ireland. As a collector, her particular interest is in Irish contemporary art. In 2002 she left the corporate world to pursue this enduring interest and accordingly established the first gallery in London that specialises in the works of contemporary Irish artists. This niche has resulted in the establishment of an international clientele base developed over the years.
Having over sixteen years' experience running her own galleries in South West London and Hyde Park, today she promotes artists via her online gallery and exhibits at various venues throughout London. She also offers a consultancy service to source specific artwork, commission artists and provide advice on all aspects of building art collections.
For more information visit Irish Art London
Susan J Mumford is a game-changer in the 21st Century art world. She’s an entrepreneur, mentor, speaker, moderator and author. While running her gallery in Soho, London, she founded the Association of Women Art Dealers (AWAD), an international non-profit membership network that facilitates business and collaborations with members operating to high professional standards. This was followed by the creation of Be Smart About Art, an online-accessible professional development platform based out of London that helps creative professionals thrive in a changing world. In late 2015, her first book was published in the name of BSAA’s motto: Art is your life. Make it your living.
Based in Lewes, East Sussex, Susan works locally, in London, around the UK, the USA, Continental Europe and online, running workshops, lectures and courses, delivering 1-2-1 sessions, facilitating panel discussions, judging prizes and more.