Commissions Terms and Conditions
We aim to ensure that your commission instruction, arranged with the Federation of British Artists (FBA), progresses smoothly and in accordance with your instructions. These Terms and Conditions set out the terms and conditions on which we, the FBA, who oversee the commission arrangements, contract with you as the client who has selected the artist.
1. The payment structure for your commission will be discussed with you in advance. We will agree with you in advance any additional expenses that may be incurred by the artist as a result of your commission (e.g. travel, accommodation, framing, casting etc).
2. Payment for your commission is usually arranged in two instalments: a nonrefundable deposit is payable by you on confirmation of the commission and before work commences and the balance is to be paid at the completion of the work. Interim payments may be payable, depending on the nature and medium of the work. However, any alternative payment schedule will be agreed with you in advance.
3. We make no direct charge to you for our service, but we are entitled to receive a fee from the artist. This fee will vary according to the artist and the nature of the commission. Generally, it is lower than the commission we earn from works sold at an exhibition. The price you are given for the commissioned work will always include an allowance for this fee.
4. All invoicing in respect of the commission is undertaken by the FBA. If the price includes VAT we shall let you have a VAT invoice.
5. We aim to resolve any unforeseen problems that may arise as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Therefore, we would appreciate your co-operation by informing us of any problems as soon as they occur, so we can resolve them in a timely and satisfactory manner.
6. If the work is not to your satisfaction, we will endeavour to work with you and the artist to resolve the issue. In the event you are still not satisfied, no further payment is liable and the work will remain the property of the artist. The deposit will not be repaid to you.
7. The artist is entitled to retain the commissioned work until all amounts due from you in respect of it have been paid in full. If payment is not received within one month of the date of the final invoice, you will then have no rights in respect of the deposit nor the commissioned work and no recourse against the FBA or the artist.
8. Our contract with you shall be governed by the laws of England and the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising in relation to it.