If your registration numbers are not listed, your work has not been accepted on this occasion.
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 16 August 2018, 10am to 5pm
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at http://mallgalleries.oess.uk between Monday 9 April and Friday 6 July 2018, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check http://mallgalleries.oess.uk on Friday 13 July, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work on Saturday 11 August 2018, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check mallgalleries.org.uk on Tuesday 14 August, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Thursday 16 August, 10am to 5pm
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 16 August, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Thursday 11 October, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday 20 October, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 25 October, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
Subject matter must be essentially marine in nature, relating in some way to tidal waters of the world; topographical, historical, still life, and figure painting are all welcomed.
- Acceptable media: Oil, acrylic, watercolour, original prints of any media, mixed media, drawings, pastels, or sculpture.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under), which includes Free Admission to the exhibition (normally £4).
Maximum of six works submitted, maximum of four works selected.
- Works should be no larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale. The price of works must include commission of 45%+VAT (with the exception of works for which foundry fees are applicable, where the commission is 33.3%+VAT).
- Minimum price: £300, except for prints - framed £200, unframed £120.
Works may be from a limited edition not exceeding fifty.
Artists are strongly urged to submit new work not previously exhibited.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and is rotated annually.
- Please note that selectors' decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU or elsewhere are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as 'NETPs' - non-established taxable persons) can find further details on 'NETP' status and how to register for VAT at www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading 'Should I be registered for VAT?' Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post - Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
New! Baltic Exchange Award: The Baltic Exchange sits at the heart of a global maritime community, providing services relied upon worldwide by market participants. Commercial shipping is a vibrant melting-pot of characters, a community drawn together from far and wide by vocation and passion. We are proud to provide this award which recognises work from artists with a focus on this compelling industry. Value £2,000.
New! The Kenneth Denton Award: For a work on the theme 'The Sea in all its Moods'. Made possible by the generosity of long-standing member Kenneth Denton. Value £500.
New! The RSMA New Generation Award: The successful artist will receive £250 and have a dedicated page in the catalogue featuring the winning work and a short biography. Open to all artists aged 35 or under at the close of submissions.
The Charles Pears Award: For an outstanding work by a non-member, to be chosen by the RSMA Selection Committee. Any medium. Value £500.
The Classic Boat Award: Each year the winner of The Classic Boat Award will take home a handsome, hand-crafted sculpture by Astins Sailing Sculptures, which will be given for the most atmospheric depiction of a classic boat in the exhibition.
The R K Burt Canson Prize: High quality artist paper for a work on paper.
The Russell and Chapple Canvas Prize: Russell and Chapple, a specialist supplier of canvas and stretcher bars for nearly 250 years, is proud to present their prize for an outstanding work in oils or acrylics. £100 worth of Russell and Chapple canvas and bar supplies.
The Sea Pictures Gallery Award: For work depicting the working side of the marine environment. Any medium or sculpture. Value £250.
The Winsor & Newton Oil Prize: For a notable oil painting. £250 worth of Winsor & Newton materials to be chosen by the winner.
The Artist Magazine Award: The winner will be interviewed for a feature in The Artist magazine, print and digital edition.
The Derek Gardner 'Sea & Sky' Award: Value £150.
The Topbond Marine Award: For works depicting marine engineering or construction activities in harbours, estuaries or marine waters within the UK. Value £250.