Art students, submit your drawings for free to the Hermione Hammond Drawing Award 2019 to win a First Prize of £2,000 and a Runner-Up Prize of £250 worth of art materials from Cass Art.
See last year's Winner, Runner-Up, and Highly Commended works here.
The Hermione Hammond Drawing Award is a £2,000 award for current art students to encourage and reward the practice of contemporary representational drawing.
It was established in 2012, in memory of the artist Hermione Hammond (1910-2005) to encourage the practice of representational drawing among art students.
Since 2017, it has been run in partnership with Mall Galleries, which hosts a diverse programme of exhibitions and events, and is home to the Federation of British Artists. The Award has so far been given to five art students, Rupert Smissen (Norwich University of the Arts, 2012), Philip Adamson (Northumbria University, 2013), Magi Kemp (Edinburgh College of Art, 2014), Gideon Summerfield (Royal Drawing School, 2017), and Martin Karpisz, professionally known as Siguel (Glasgow School of Art, 2018).
The Head Judge for 2019 is artist Charles Williams, member of the New English Art Club and Royal Watercolour Society, and author of ‘Basic Drawing: How to Draw What You See’. Charles will judge the entries alongside the award's Trustees and representatives from Mall Galleries / Federation of British Artists.
- First Prize: £2,000
- Runner-Up Prize: £250 worth of art materials from Cass Art
- Please note that the First Prize money is paid upon receipt of invoices, the expenses for which must be related to the arts (for example, for art materials, studio space, exhibition or residency expenses, travel for project work, etc.)
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. After final selection from online entries has taken place, entrants will be notified of the winner by email:
- Upload images of work at http://mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 21 January and Thursday 18 April 2019, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check your email inbox on Monday 29 April, 12 noon, to find out the Winner of the Hermione Hammond Drawing Award
Submission opens: Monday 21 January 2019, 12 noon
Submission closes: Thursday 18 April, 12 noon
Winner announcement: Monday 29 April, 12 noon (by email)
- The award is open to current students at recognised art institutions in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over
- Submission is free; there is no charge to enter
- Artists may submit up to six works each
- Entries must have been completed after 1st January 2018
- Multiple colours are not permitted
- Acceptable media: Pencil / graphite, pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, conte, sanguine, pen, ink. Please note that printmaking is not accepted.
- Entries may be hand-drawn from life or from an imagined image, but not from photographs
- The subject can represent any form of human, animal or plant life, a still life, an interior, or any scene - witnessed or imagined
- The judges’ decision is final